Monday 14 October 2013

Foundation Collection Review | Rimmel, Covergirl, Bourjois and more!


I've come to love my foundation collection. Which is strange for me considering only 6 months ago I never wore the stuff and just stuck to concealer and powder. There is actually one missing here, but it's missing because I haven't used it yet, and so it wouldn't make sense to review something I haven't actually used!
All of these foundations have good things about them, as well as negatives, but seeing as they will differ from skin-type to skin-type, remember that my skin is oily/combination, and so this is how they are on MY skin; it could be different for your skin type :)

  • Rimmel Match Perfection in 100 Ivory: I bought this purely because it was on sale, was really cheap ($13) and I'd heard from a friend that it was really good. The first time I used it I was really impressed. It did match my skin really well (I wouldn't say perfectly, but pretty close). It has a very liquid consistency but gives really good coverage, and is buildable, for those spots of hyper-pigmentation or redness. This is a great every day foundation for medium coverage, but can be heavier with the more you apply. I didn't make my skin extra oily or dry, it sat well, and it lasted all night at work (which can get quite warm and sweaty). I'd give this one a 7/10. Only lowered because I still need to use it some more to make sure that wasn't a one-off experience!

  • Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation in Vanilla: This was more of a lavish purchase for me at $32, but hold on, because I actually got 3 products for free with it, so actually it was more like $6. Woo! But anyway, this is a GREAT foundation. I love it. It is a little bit of an olive colour, which doesn't match my skin as well as the Rimmel Match Perfection, but with the combination of the Bourjois Healthy Balance powder (also in Vanilla, but it's a tad lighter), or my Rimmel Stay Matte powder, it works well. It blends nicely, doesn't streak, and is good for all skin types. I wouldn't recommend this for REALLY oily skin, because it doesn't give a matte finish, which is what you'd want, but it is moisturising, and gives a nice hint of satin dewyness, without overkilling it.

  • Almay Clear Complexion makeup with BlemisHeal Technology in 'buff' 140: This foundation, to start off with, has a god-awful smell. Like paint or glue, you know? That really terrible acrid smell that paint has. Ick. As a foundation though it's pretty good. It's got 0.6% salicylic acid which is supposed to help with blemished skin (such as my own) and leaves a matte finish. It's not great coverage though, very light, almost the same as a tinted moisturiser (minus the moisturising part). Not particularly pleased with this one, but it'd be good for oilier skin on school days or days where you only want light coverage. (Another downside: unlike almost all the others here, except for the airfoam foundation, this doesn't have a pump, which can make it super messy to use!)

  • Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in 100 Ivory: This is a fantastic foundation for summer, or mornings where you're feeling tired and your skin is really showing it. It has 'anti-fatique effect' and leaves a 'radiant glow' to the skin, which is exactly right. This is a little dewy on my skin, so I always use a matte powder after it, but for drier skin, it would be perfect. The Ivory colour is slightly too dark for my skin, but blends well with a lighter powder over the top.

  • Models Prefer liquid foundation in Ivory: Fantastic every day foundation. Gives medium coverage, leaves a matte finish and isn't sticky, gloopy, tacky, smelly or dewy. It lasts well, but use a setting powder/spray of course to help lengthen its face-sitting time. For how cheap I got it I think it's a great product. 

  • Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 foundation + in classic ivory: so this is a fairly recent purchase (having been half price), and I've only used it twice, but I've been very impressed. It says 'lasting power of primer, coverage of a concealer, and blendability of a foundation in one. Shine free.' Who doesn't think that sounds awesome? Unlike most liquid foundation, this one is slightly thicker, leaning towards a concealer. Once on the skin it does loosen a bit to help with blending, and it covers redness, dullness and blemishes really well. The colour matches my skin fantastically, and it does last very well. And when I say 'very well' I mean that I went to work with this on, busted my butt until midnight, came home, and it still looked almost exact how I left it (without any touch-ups). This foundation is great for those days when you have more to cover, and less time to get out all the concelaer, primer and cover-ups you have. It's all in the one glass jar!

  • Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam foundation in 110 Porcelain Ivory: I can't say I wasn't curious about this when I saw it in the store. When I then saw that it was half price (due to the cap being removed etc) I thought, "why the hell not?". I'd heard it was hard to apply and didn't look great. So I was then surprised to find that I loved it. The foam comes out of the pump really quick, which scared the...well, you know...out of me. It is a little bit hard to blend, as it dries really quick once on the skin, but not impossible. The colour really did make my skin look like porcelain, and the nice matte finish made it look like I had only used a powder. Great luck on my part, I'd say! 

So, I know that was a long one, but I had to do this, especially after my foundation collection has grown exponentially in the last 6 months. I find it really hard to pick out foundations at drug stores, especially when testers aren't given. So hopefully this might help you in some way when finding a nice drug store foundation to buy next, or if you're looking to venture into something different to your usual high-end foundations.


Swatches of the foundations: from bottom to top matches the photo above from left to right (the last one it to the right but is hardly visible)

No comments:

Post a Comment